Friday 30 August 2013

My Little Helper Stitching


 
I was watching my children play in the pool, while enjoying a cup of tea and doing a bit of embroidery. You know, squeezing creative tasks into tiny, much appreciated intervals in-between chores and other work related matters. So a short break - but it didn't last long. When my youngest son saw me embroidering, he wanted to join in! He dried off, jumped on the table, grabbed my work and started where I had left off.
 
Now it is very lucky that I enjoy doing the type of embroidery where you do not follow a pattern, but just "free-style-it" and it is ok it looks uneven. I actually like it uneven. So I stayed calm, gave a few instructions and he got going. He actually followed the outline of what I had done and it did not look bad at all. He enjoyed it and has since begun embroidering his own design after one of his own drawings, which will be awesome!
 
When working with children, I have found that the most interesting stuff happens when you step back and don't interfere in what they are creating. Sometimes it can be very difficult to do, especially when things get really messy or you think you have to save the situation! But the results sure outweigh the distress of restraining oneself and the time spent cleaning up afterwards.
 
xo Sarah

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...