Friday 1 November 2013

Quilts on Show in Brisbane

Quilt by Pamela Patterson
Quilt by Pamela Patterson, Tasmania. An interpretation on what "Free" means to the her as the artist.


I went to a quilt and sewing show at the Brisbane Exhibition Centre a few weekends ago. It is the first time I have gone, so I was quite curious to whether I would find it interesting. I did. There were some amazing works. The detail, the skill, the imagination that was put into some of the displayed quilts was quite amazing. I am a sewer/dressmaker and I have never really ventured into quilting, but I felt inspired afterwards, so maybe one day when I have some free time on my hands I might give it a go. Or maybe next time my mum, who is a keen quilter, comes to visit me she could teach me a few quilting tricks. I would never have the patience or skill for anything as complicated as the ones I have photographed and posted here. But I might give a simple one a go… after all my other projects. Take a look at my favourite pick from the exhibition:

Quilt by Ailsa Koloi
 The title of this quilt by Ailsa Koloi is Whirligig and you can see why. It is an amazing combination of colourful off-cuts used so precisely to create this whirl wind.
Quilt by Ailsa Koloi
The perfection and detail blows you away!
 
 
Quilt made by Jan Phillips
Quilt by Jan Phillips, title: Splash Pineapple Log Cabin. Made with Japanese fabric scraps.


Quilt Made by Marlene King
The theme for this quilt made by Marlene King was "In the Heavens" and she named the quilt "Black Holes and the Milky Way". It is much darker in real life and reflects the magic of space very well I thought.
 
 
Quilt made by Jean Green
Quilt made by Jean Green and named "Star Crazy". Cute and colourful star quilt - no two stars are alike!


Quilt by Gail Chalker
Quilt by Gail Chalker, "You Can Never Have Too Many Circles". Intricate work, the quilt is huge and the work just cutting the circles let alone putting all together into this beautiful quilt!


Quilt made by Barbara McLennan, NSW

Quilt made by Barbara McLennan, NSW
Such a happy and poetic quilt over the theme: "The Best Things in Life are Free", named "Sunset over the Ocean", made by Barbara McLennan, NSW.

I enjoyed the show - hope you did too?
xo Sarah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...