Thursday 26 September 2013

No Fuss Ginger Biscuits



Ginger Biscuits
My oldest son Johannes loves these, so he is happy to help.

 
 

 
Lately I have been visiting old recipes, looking for something simple from before chia seed, Rapadura sugar and gluten free. Not that I mind those ingredients at all, I use them too, but I just wanted old-fashioned and simple.  A crunchy sweet biscuits to put in lunchboxes as a treat. I found these ginger biscuits in an old cook book of mine. I have made them several times now; my kids love them and my colleagues love them.
 

 
Ginger Biscuits
 
I like them really thin and crispy; and for this I use the bread cutter that I have (I talked about it in this post Retro Kitchen)… but you can of course slice them with a knife. The recipe says to roll them into little balls and bake. I tested this, see picture to the left below, the left biscuit is sliced, the right biscuit is rolled. So depending on how you like your biscuit – choose your method.

Ginger Biscuits
 
Also you can replace powdered ginger with fresh grated ginger, one table spoon, to make them healthier.

 

Ginger Biscuits

Makes about 60

 

Ingredients:

250g wheat flour

125g butter

225g brown sugar

2 tbsp. powered ginger or 1 tbsp. fresh ginger finely grated

1 tsp. powered cloves

Pinch of salt

½ baking soda

1 egg

 

Directions:

1.       Chop the softened butter and flour together until it resembles breadcrumbs (I do this with a knife). Stir into the mixture the brown sugar, ginger, cloves, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl beat the egg and add this to your dough mixture. Now knead until you have an even dough.
 

2.       Decide how you want your biscuits. You can immediately roll them into little balls, place them on a baking tray and bake them in your oven. This gives you a thick biscuit. Or you can roll your dough into rolls/logs, wrap them in cling wrap and refrigerate them for 1-2 hours or so, or even freeze the dough for baking later. The ones I make are about 5 cm in diameter. If you want them nice and round you have to turn or roll the rolls of dough a few times while they are cooling, otherwise they go flat on one side. Once the dough rolls are hardened you can slice them to your liking.
 

3.       Bake in the middle of the oven at 200 degrees C/400 degrees F for 12 min or until edges are browned.

 

 

 

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...